Yesterday we began taking down the unit adjacent to the one we completed last week with high hopes that there would be a feature in it. The excavation started off well, immediately yielding a few pieces of ceramic that we were able to put together to make two parts of the same dish. We also found some large chunks of brick, more ceramics, and even a tiny straight pin that I was very lucky to spot as we were digging! As we got closer to our intended level, however, our hope of finding the rest of the feature that we saw in the last unit started to fade. No major soil stains existed, with the exception of a line that ran across the bottom that was likely caused by a root. The day was almost over by the time we were finished, so we decided to come back to it in the morning to see if we could spot any differences with fresh eyes and a fresh scrape.
This morning Katie and I returned to the unit and unfortunately did not see any changes. It was disappointing to learn that our feature was apparently not a feature after all, but we quickly moved on and finished excavating the unit. After we wrapped up all of the paperwork, we eagerly reported to Laura to get our next assignment, which turned out to be very cool! Beginning tomorrow we will be excavating a feature in the southern half of the site that was originally uncovered during the 2008 excavation. The remaining half of it was found and documented by two interns last summer. We spent the rest of the day reading their field notes and looking at maps of the four units it intersects, and tomorrow we will be uncovering it and starting the excavation. I am very excited about this assignment, and I can’t wait to see what we will find!